[pct-l] Fw: mosquitoes, flys, ticks

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 09:40:57 CST 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com>
To: pit-l at backcountry.net
Sent: Wed, November 24, 2010 7:17:57 PM
Subject: mosquitoes, flies, ticks

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving to All,

During my ride between Mexico and Canada in 2008 & 2009 (I was on the PCT for
about five months) I passed through several areas where I couldn't help but
notice that many hikers were miserable fighting off insects.  A few had picked
up ticks as well. They were using nets and lots of repellents. My horse also had
a problem, especially in the  evening until it cooled off. I had brought along a
light water repellent horse blanket and a fly mask for him and put insect
repellents on his neck, legs and belly.

I had very few problems because I had purchased insect repellent clothes at
REI.  It is made by a company called ExOfficio. It is called "Insect Shield" and
also "Buzz Off". Odorless insect repellent is in the cloth and it will withstand
several washings. (Follow instructions) You can look it up and also buy it on
the net.  I brought along the socks, pants, shirt, and the cap with cape to
protect your neck and ears. It worked well for me in areas where hikers had real
problems. I only used the cap while in camp. I had brought along a head net but
discovered that I didn't really need it.  In areas where insects were a problem
I did put Deet on my forehead, cheeks, and on the back of my hands. While on the
trail, if there were bugs, I also applied some on the back of my neck. (I wear a
riding helmet on the trail.) The mosquitoes buzzed around me but did not sting
through my clothes and I never got a tick in me.

 I was very careful to try to keep insects out of my tent. I had a MSR Hubba and
rarely used the rain fly - only when it rained or snowed. If I discovered flying
insects (mosquitoes and flies) in my tent after I zippered it up for the night I
would kill them using my guide book pages as a swatter. In the morning I
zippered the tent closed as soon as I emptied it and exited it.  At the next
camp I would set it up first and then unzip and quickly toss everything in and
re-zipper it closed. After entering I would start the routine of killing them
again.

Hope this info might help some of my hiker-friends. It worked for me.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson