[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 35, Issue 63

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Thu Nov 25 13:45:28 CST 2010

> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:19:25 -0700
> From: Kevin Cook <hikelite at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] bug question
> To: Austin Williams <austinwilliams123 at gmail.com>
> Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> I'm trying to get an idea of where thru hikers hit a lot of mosquitoes.
> Describing what you did to deal with them could also be helpful, but
> mostly
> I'm trying to determine where I'll want a refuge.
>
> Thanks :)

In the mosquito replies, the one thing I don't see mentioned is: the use of
thiamine as a repellent. For the summer of '74 a friend and myself  rode a
bicycles from vancouver to stjohns nfl (actually he stopped in montreal with
knee problems) - 5600 miles over 14 weeks. At the beginning we were being
eat'n alive by the mosquitos (the canadian national airforce??). But when we
got to Kamaloops (about mile 400) we ran into an old logger that told us
about using thiamine (mononitrate, and not hcl). Thiamine is water soluable,
so when you overdose, ie, have more in your body than it needs, you pee it
out, and most importantly, sweat it out. I don't remember the exact doseage
were ended up taking (though something like 10x the RDA) - I know chris and
myself were taking different amounts to achieve this effect...  but it
worked. All the way through the canadian rockies and especially in the east
(ontario and the maritines), the mosquitoes would buzz you, would fly about
2-3" above one's skin, but wouldn't land. Like all good conditioned
animales, when one heard the buzzing, one would slap... but over time, one
just got used to the buzzing and tried to ignore it, finally coming to
understand there was no relationship btwn it and actually being bit. I know
that others around us were using OFF, deet100% etc and were kind of doing as
well as us, but were always asking if the mosquitoes weren't bothering us.
We'd try to explain, but it seemed that no-one would believe us that all we
were doing was taking our thiamine in the morning. Other's wondered if it
was the only getting a bath/shower once a week that was doing it; others
were asking about if we were eating garlic. But we kept telling them that
all we were doing was B1. Anyway: completed the trip, with zero mosquito
problems (bites). Around here (redding) we don't have enough mosquitoes to
experiment with B1 again...  but I was wondering if anyone else was doing
such, or had experimented with such. I'm pretty sure for my thru I'll be
going back to the B1 route, rather than using the heavy chemicals. YMMV
HYOH
TheDuck