[pct-l] bug question

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Nov 27 16:41:02 CST 2010

Good afternoon, RuffWork,

I’ve had DEET dissolve/soften some plastics, but not all.  After all, it’s
sold in a plastic bottle.  As far as I can tell, it has never bothered any
of my front-line gear such as nylon sleeping bag fabric, rip-stop nylon,
SilNylon items, poly fleece, etc. nor has it damaged my plastic eyeglass
lenses.  Once I used a pair of hiking poles that had black plastic grips
which continually made my hands black during the DEET season.  I think it
was slowly dissolving that plastic.

The only real nuisance DEET has caused me was years ago when I took field
survey notes with plastic mechanical pencils.  DEET from my fingers ate
about a half-dozen of them during that year’s bug season in Central Oregon,
and wherever I touched my aluminum hard hat it dissolved the paint.
Considering
how really bad the mosquitoes were that year -- up till about mid-July -- a
few Forest Service pencils and a hat paint job was a pretty cheap date.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09