[pct-l] hiking boots

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Nov 29 18:44:23 CST 2010

Hey, Mango!

In the article you referred to, the guy's boots were described as
"artificial leather work boots," being the only ones he could afford. In
1974, Vasque sponsored us with what they called "Whitneys," which were
heavy, steel-shanked, full-grain leather, Goodyear-welted, and Vibram-soled
traditional hiking boots that could function well with crampons. After 30
years of re-soling them, they were retired just six years ago. Heavy boots,
although out of fad these days, served us well and I only needed two soles
per PCT and CDT. Not bad, really!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education