[pct-l] Bear canisters

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Fri Oct 1 11:24:13 CDT 2010

I was saving this for later, but after recently completing a section hike
during deer season, was wondering if anyone has tried resupplying from the
land as they hike? Carrying a rifle/shotgun combination, one might be able
to harvest deer and quail for dinner each night. Walking quietly along the
trail, not being slowed down by the weight of any food in the pack, one
should be able to find plenty of game. Certainly more than the "hunter" on
the noisy quad we met one evening was (not) finding. Roast some venision on
a big wood fire, dry some of the next day's lunch, or air-dry it on the back
of the pack carne seca style. Some wild onions add flavor. Maybe bring a dog
to flush out the quail. No need for a heavy bear can if you aren't carrying
any food. So, has anyone done this successfully?

AsABat
(Fully tongue in cheek)