[pct-l] What Underwear to Wear

Bryan Glovetsky glovetsky at live.com
Fri Oct 1 18:17:30 CDT 2010

Underwear is like everything else - find out what works for you. As you take shorter hikes and other outdoor adventures in preparation for a long-distance hike, experiment a bit, try different things and decide what's best for you. What works best for me is wearing tight under-armour brand boxer-briefs with a genorous application of baby-powder or cornstarch inside them - redusted several times throughout the day. This may be poison for some others, but then some others recommend things like traditional boxers or going commando which would be poison for me. When I first started distance hiking, I tried to do what had been recommended by other hikers - wearing loose boxers. For me, that was disastrous. I chafed to the point of bleeding on my inner-upper thighs. This is an area where you'll ask advice and get as many - sometimes conflicting - opinions as there are hikers asked. So again - find out what works for you, and it's best to determine that before you embark on a distance hike. It would be a shame to have an intensive outdoor experience ruined by something like this.

Bryan Glovetsky