[pct-l] A quick introduction & some initial questions :)

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 10:36:58 CDT 2010

Welcome to the list Redwood Guy!

> In regards to my tent: (and "sleeping bag", too)...  I have been "one of those hammock guys"...

Why change?!
Hammocks have been used successfully on the PCT in the past (e.g., Roni from Israel & the Ewoks)...
With some thought given to 'gear' selection, a hammock set-up doesn't have a substantial weight
'penalty' over a ground dweller set-up!
Since you're a "cold sleeper", you'd probably want to consider 'winter' TQ/UQ for the PCT, however...
One would want to have 'ground' backup - a piece of tyvek for groundcloth and a 3/4 pad, but these
can also serve in ways other than solely for 'going to ground' sleeping...
The hammock can be set up as a bivy (with trekking poles) if you need to go to ground - therefore no
snake/scorpion worries...  ;-)

My total sleep/shelter 'thru hammock' set-up (hammock & suspension, Spinn tarp & rigging, 3/4 UQ,
sleeping bag used as TQ, 3/4 pad, groundcloth) will be under 5.5 pounds - and will be lighter yet if I
get a TQ instead of using the sleeping bag...

So, before ditching the hammock for a thru hike, seriously consider the COMFORT factor of 'hanging'!!!
And search Hammock Forums, <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/?>, for UL hammock gear suggestions...

If you have Google Earth, download Halfmile's PCT trace and 'scout' the trail for potential hanging
locations in SoCal 'desert', and planning ahead where to 'camp' below treeline in the Sierra...
Halfmile's PCT GE.kmz file at <http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/gearth.html>...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: <http://www.pcta.org/>

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing
there will be no result." - Mahatma Gandhi