[pct-l] Frog Restoration

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Oct 5 19:33:20 CDT 2010

Seems to me that the LeConte Canyon Ranger, Rick Sanger, told us this past
June when we were in there filming that there had been a group studying
frogs in the unnamed, crescent-shaped lake at Starr's Camp just above Big
Pete Meadow and below Black Giant prior to this summer. Unfortunately, this
winter a large avalanche swept down from Black Giant and gouged-out the lake
scattering ice from the frozen lake's surface and all their nets and
measuring devices all across the nearby meadow and bushes.

For the early hikers that went through that area, that is what all that ice
in the meadow was all about. Did you notice all the fine, grey silt on top
of the ice? That was from the bottom of the lake! You probably noticed the
broken branches strewn about the open meadow that came from trees 150 feet
away around the lake at tree line. Pretty amazing aftermath!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150