[pct-l] Water plus Aqua Mira

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Oct 7 19:42:03 CDT 2010

Lisa,
You can order Aqua Mira online and they will ship to California. I
used the drops. I've heard good things about both. I liked the drops
because if I didn't fill up my bottle all the way, it was easy to
adjust the drops accordingly (by guesstimation.)

If you are very sensitive to heat and need to drink a lot of water,
you may want to carry 28lbs of water. That is something for you to
decide. If you have more capacity than you truly need, you will learn
whether or not you want to fill it all up.

If you are that sensitive, be sure you bring plenty of salt. You
should eat salty foods and you may also want to add some kind of
electrolyte supplement, preferably something less sugary than
gatorade. Many hikers without a lot of desert experience overdo it on
sugar and water and get very sick. You will need a lot of salt and
electrolytes without a lot of sugar. Look up hyponatremia online so
that you can familiarize yourself with possible symptoms.

Good luck and you will love the desert. Many people end up being
pleasantly surprised.