[pct-l] Aqua Mira

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 20:03:49 CDT 2010

Lisa,

Aqua Mira (both tabs and liquid) and Micropur (tabs) use chlorine dioxide to sterilize the water.  Tabs generally take longer to treat especially turbid and cold water, but warmer, clearer water will take less time.  I used both Aqua Mira liquid and Micropur tabs on the PCT this past summer (Campo to Sonora Pass).  If you give it adequate time, the chlorine residue will dissipate, with no aftertaste or smell.  Plus, a lot of your total water intake will be in town, from public water supplies, so worrying about excess chemicals is unnecessary.

Another poster advocated drinking straight from the creeks in the Sierra.  Sometimes that may be okay, but make sure you go upstream from trail crossings.  The PCT is open to horses, mules, etc, and their poop will be in the water around and downstream from the trail.  Only at very high elevations, above tree line, would you be safer drinking directly from creeks withou t treating.   IMO, you s hould treat everything.  One bout of giardia will make you a true believer , and it's out there.  I hiked with two people who got it before Kennedy Meadows.

Good luck,

Mango