[pct-l] Water

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Fri Oct 8 12:09:47 CDT 2010

On 10/7/2010 4:45 PM, Lisa Freathy wrote:
> Another water question which I know is completely different for each person, but
> I would love any feedback/experience so I can have a better idea...
>
> I typically drink a LOT of water and I do NOT deal very well with the heat, the
> dessert section has me very nervous. As I am figuring out my pack weight I am
> estimating that at some times I may want the capacity to carry 9 liters of water
> (19.8lbs!!?). This seems to be much higher than that which others estimate as
> far as bottle sizes/needs. Am I going overboard?? I was thinking of carrying the
> following...
>

> ~Four 1 liter plastic bottles (plastic re-used smart water bottles or something
> like that)
> ~One 2.5/3 liter camelback bladder
> ~One 4 liter colapsable platy or dromlite (platy is lighter, dromlite seems more
> sturdy... preference/opinions?)
>
> I don't plan on having all filled all the time and will most likely reduce
> containers in the sierras, but does this seem on target or overboard for a heat
> sensitive water lover like me?

No, that's not overboard. I'm the same way, don't handle heat all that
well. I carried 2.5 gallons into the San Felipes from Scissors Crossing.
The weather was mild and that water lasted all the way to Warner
Springs. Others carried only 3 liters through that section, relying on
the water cache at the 3rd Gate.

On his thruhike in '06 a friend carried 2 gallons in that stretch. The
third gate cache was empty, and those who had only carried a couple of
liters up there were hurting. His opinion of those folks was not very high.

It's better to carry too much water than not enough. I am loathe to rely
on the kindness of strangers for such a basic need. My philosophy is
that if you don't want to carry water in the desert, don't hike in the
desert.

My $0.02.
Gary