[pct-l] New PCT Guide

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Fri Oct 8 18:55:51 CDT 2010

I am stoked to hear Ancient Brit has released his book! I did not connect it at first cause I never knew his real name. Anyhow I have a funny story from 2009 when Ancient Brit was scouting out the PCT.
As many folks know that hiked that year, depending on the time of day, you just might see more of A. Brit than you bargained
for! Anyhow that ain't the funny story.. Just funny.
Brit had just got done explaining how important his compass was to his book writing efforts. He went on and on about his brand of compass and how it was calibrated and compensated and balanced etc. He asked to see my compass, a coleman "El Cheapo" model, and proceeded to lambast my choice and in a friendly way, tell me why his compass was superior.
 I hiked on not thinking much beyond that. The next time I saw Ancient Brit he asked me if I still had my compass. I asked: "Why? I thought you said my compass was a piece of crap." We both laughed when he produced his uber-expensive, ultra accurate, and now Needle-less compass!
Yes the needle had fallen apart inside the fluid filled chamber!
Ancient Brit is one awesome character. I have no doubt his book will be awesome. I never met a more dedicated researcher on the trail. Just whatever you do, don't walk up on him on the trail after 2PM when he is reading a book,on the trail, in the nude! Yikes!
 Who can blame him.. I don't think they get much sun in England. ;)
Hey Ancient Brit I love Ya Bro! Congrats and GoodLuck with the book!
Cheers-Iceaxe
Sent on the go from my Peek