[pct-l] foot ware and Spring run-off

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Oct 14 14:17:19 CDT 2010

Steel-Eye,

I really don't know how it worked, but that it did. We even have some pictures of Captain Growler shin-deep in the creek above Big Pete where he simply just splashed through it rather than do the rock-hop, but I don't think they're posted in the Mountain Education Facebook Album; I'll have to go through the 1200 stills to find it. We've probably got it on video as well, but we're still wading through those 20 hours of HD tape...

In a deep crossing like the South Fork of the Kings, where the water was thigh-deep and rushing by, there was no hope for dry boots, just be careful about your footing, stay balanced, and pick your way across. We did find that, since the big crossing are down below snowline, the wet boots combined with new, dry socks, dried out before reaching snowline again. Again, I don't understand either the engineering of the boots nor the physics of how they dry out so well, but they did and for each of the three of us with the same non-custom boots from Limmer. So, with the exception of the deep crossings, we always had warm and dry feet through the snow and trail splashing from Olancha Peak to Evolution Valley.

Got to add that this Spring's run-off and thaw was late and sudden. As you can all see from the posted stills, we still had zero-degree nights and snow storms until the base of Forester on May 24th where after we exited over Kearsarge on May 26th for a funeral. Compare the shots of the Bullfrog Lake area then to when we returned June 15th, almost three weeks and three-feet-melted-off later, and you'll realize that water was running everywhere. You couldn't go anywhere in the canyons without hearing the roar of water falling off rocks and down creeks around you! The trail was often a creek, itself, and where it wasn't it was a major mud trough. After awhile, you just got tired of it and chose to hop the rocks along the sides, instead....

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150