[pct-l] foot ware and Spring run-off

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Oct 15 11:51:16 CDT 2010

Yes Ned,...Great pictures.

Wes, I would venture to say Ned is wearing a Kelty exterior frame pack.
I still have 2 of those...the Kelty is my favorite exterior frame pack when I'm not going "UL".
And yes 90 lb is doable with a Kelty exterior.
My Kelty pack weight was 85 lb on my 1996 JMT hike.
Of course, I was only 55 back then...now, 14 years later, 2 days shy of 70, I don't haul such
heavy packs anymore.

Yes Gary,
The same goes for Diane.
It seems that some of our members don't seem to understand the true meaning of  "UL".
You hit it right on the spot..."different gear works for different folks"
Nobody has the absolute right way...what works for you is the right way for you, which may
not necessarily, be the right way for everybody.

I walk on both sides of the fence..."UL" on my speed hikes and "Heavy Trucker" when I hike
with my wife or the scouts.
The right set up depends on the type of hike, the comfort level & condition of the hiker.

Of course some folks will disagree with me and will say...."da$#!...my way is the absolute
correct way...if you don't hike my way you are hiking the wrong way...da$#!"

JMT Reinhold
Still searching for the right way

Wes wrote:

Hi Ned,

Thanks for sharing your photos.  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=35009&id=157155614308934&ref=mf <http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=35009&id=157155614308934&ref=mf>
There are two particular photos that grabbed my attention.  A scale-shot, presumably a before and after picture;
with and without backpack.  Unweighted is roughly 170lbs and weighted is 260lbs.  Are you packing 90lbs out
there normally?  I am assuming that the exterior-framed pack is yours, and it does appear that it is quite heavy.
Ourside of food and water, what are you packing in?  Thanks in advance for your reply.