[pct-l] was footware, now lightweight compared to old school

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Oct 17 16:35:53 CDT 2010

I am thankful that the ultralight/lightweight movement emerged when it did.
 I think Jardine's book came out in 1993 or so (i don't have it near me).
I hiked Oregon and Washington in 1994 with a 30 pound base weight wearing
5lb boots.  My feet got larger in the first two weeks and i switched to
tevas, then NB 804s.  I mailed home anything i wasn't using.

Now, at 58, with a knee that periodically has me in recovery for a week to
a month and a back that goes out when i don't exercise regularly I don't
think I'd be hiking with my 45 pound pack.  I carry everything I need,
including enough to eat and a trashy novel with a base weight of 12 pounds
plus food and water.  I know how to stay warm and dry and on week long
trips hike 10 miles a day.  I savor hiking.  I can hike while in bad shape
without hurting myself.

It takes me about five weeks now to hike myself into shape, and then I can
put out less effort hiking 20 miles than I did hiking 10.  I remember the
first time I'd hiked 20 miles by 3PM and after i stopped, wondered what I
was going to do with the rest of the day.  I had to change my thinking
about hiking, hiking longer, or napping more.

I actually chose to nap more next to bubbling creeks or on the top of
ridges, or in a shady forest on a hot day, or???   ...

Jeffrey Olson
martin, SD