[pct-l] Hiking and the real world

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 17:18:30 CDT 2010

Sasha, you ask a really hard question.  I believe it is the extremely rare
individual whom can combine regular Long distance hiking and a profession.
At least I haven't found anyone willing to pay me to hike yet.  Generally
most folks on the trail are taking some time off from things like a
profession or are just out of school and haven't started one yet.

Of course there is that group commonly referred to as "hiker trash" that
hike year in year out by generally taking short term work in the off season.

I have met a couple of hikers that were able to combine contract type work
with hiking but you have to be in a field that supports that.  One guy I met
was a nurse and did contract nursing when he wasn't hiking.  The other
worked in Antarctica for 6-12 months a year and then hiked when not there.
These guys seemed to have a career and were able to do regular long distance
hikes.  I've also met one or two guys in construction but most were out
during slow work times anyway.

Day-Late