[pct-l] Hiking and the real world

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Oct 18 00:15:57 CDT 2010

There's no one singular answer. You have to find your own path.

I simply quit my job to hike. I got a temporary job in between the
two summers I did my PCT hike. I think if I was younger and single
and male I would find a way to live a life of temporary jobs and
maybe some RV or van living to make my living expenses really low.
Then spend my off time hiking long trails. Or get a fungible, in-
person job, like waitressing or drain cleaning or something where you
can just get another job real quick without too much career ladder
stuff to worry about.

In my more ordinary life, my hope had been to quit, hike, then find
another job right away. In the high tech field where I work it was
somewhat common to quit, take a long vacation, then go get another
job. Outsourcing and the downturn in the economy put a stop to that.

Teaching is another way to have time for distance hiking.

Not many working people make a career of long distance hiking. You
could find jobs that are outdoors, but that's not quite the same as
being like Billy Goat or whoever. I've thought about campground
hosting when I'm old so I can live close to nature.

It's possible I may never hike long distance again. This makes me
sad. But all I can see ahead of me are endless days of working with
weekends over in a blink of an eye and only day hikes here and there
to tide me over until long holiday weekends give me time for multi-
day trips. I saw my chance and went for it. Now I'm like you and
wondering how can I do it again.