[pct-l] Hiking and the real world

shelly skye shelbel26 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:06:39 CDT 2010

Sasha,
You might want to ask yourself some questions. What am I good at? Do I like working with people? Teaching? Writing? Working alone or on a team? Do I want to own a home more than anything else? Where do I want to live? In a city, town, the country? How much money do I want to make? How about children, do I have a burning desire to have and raise children? The answers to these kinds of questions will help you decide which way to go. For myself, I worked in the education field for most of my career, in part because of the summer vacation aspect. I have earned no where near the money that people have made in other career fields but I also didn't have to work 40+ hours a week, all year long with nothing but a two week vacation every year to look forward to.  I decided for myself that the quality of my life each day was more important than what might happen 20-30 years from now. If you can answer some of these important question early in your college/ work life and hold off on making choices which will limit your future choices (children, mortgage, etc) then you will have the freedom to adjust at the drop of a hat and be able to move in the direction that seems right at the time.
As my friend from the deep South says," Coffins don't have pockets." No matter how much money you make or things you buy, you can't take it with you when you go.
Shelly