[pct-l] 80 lbs

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Oct 18 15:07:58 CDT 2010

An expedition-heavy load is never desired, but sometimes a necessity. This
is why:

We were HD video-taping along the Crest from KM to the Muir Trail Ranch to
create 1) a PBS documentary, "The PCT Experience" for our producer who
already had completed the first episode about the history of the trail, 2)
navigational skills training segments about how to follow the trail when
covered in snow above and below timberline, 3) snow skills training shorts
detailing how to safely go up and down all the passes, 4) some video of all
the creek crossings and how to get across them in one, preferably dry piece,
5) sponsored product reviews filmed on-trail, 6) product promotional shorts
for sponsor's websites, and 7) narrative details for the up-coming Snow
Guide to the PCT. We were in for 10 to 12 days each segment moving along at
about 4 to 8 miles per day filming everything we could think of that future
hikers would want to see and know about.

We decided to leave KM "early" to capture what conditions would be like at
their worst and how to deal with them for future hikers, thus the start date
of May 10th out of KM for those who leave the Border north-bound in March or
early April. We were alone out there until we came back in from a resupply
in Independence and two and a half weeks off for a funeral and new sponsor
gear between May 26th and June 13th. June 14th is when Calorie fell and we
called in his rescue. (Still waiting to hear how the rest of Calorie's hike
went after he healed up?) Back on the trail over Glen Pass we realized that
about one or two dozen thrus were now ahead of us.

Therefore, we had a ton of food, camera gear, and snow and foul-weather
equipment that allowed us to do what we did. The stills you can see at our
Mountain Education FB page's two albums on the trip (our website is being
remodeled--something I need to work on today...).

With ideal timing and weather, pack weights can be MUCH lower than ours, as
daily attested by many on this list and others, so I'm sure our weights are
a shock to see. We were out there to hike in the worst of what a thru might
encounter, so for safety sake we chose to carry more of everything including
large group stoves with extra fuel, big ice axes, extra-durable clothing,
enough food for five meals a day (we liked eating!), extra communication
(personal radios and Satellite phone) and GPS devices, snowshoes, and so
forth.

Could this have been done lighter? Sure! We could have gone in for shorter
lengths of time, but would have had to move faster to reach the next exit
out (not our priority). We could have pre-placed caches along the way so we
wouldn't have had to come out at all and would have had frequent resupplies
on-trail that would have allowed lighter packs, but we didn't (and this
probably would have been illegal, anyway). We could have left later and
hoped for better weather other than the 3 or 4 snow storms we got, but that
wasn't the point of the research trip. We could have carried less and
lighter gear, but our choices, here, were based on the comfort level and
safety margins we wanted knowing the conditions we anticipated and our skill
at dealing with them. Oh, and we could have carried less food (especially
the 30 bagels, meat logs, pounds of real cheese...), but we wanted to eat
what our G. I. tracts were used to and what we liked and in quantity.

Sure, hefting heavy packs is not fun, but once it's up there and you're in
strong physical shape, it was no big deal to go the short distances we
planned with lots of stops to photograph, video tape, eat, explore, sit and
enjoy each other and the scenery, eat, cross another creek, do frequent map
checks, eat, and look forward to pulling into camp, setting up the tent, and
scarfing down a big dinner and dessert and going to sleep on our fluffy down
air mats early (most of the time after listening to a comedian on the IPOD).

Would we do it again? Absolutely! Why? Because it is beautiful and fun out
there, especially when you can go slow and you have what it takes to be safe
(in hand and between the ears). Lots of food plays a big part in our
enjoyment of wilderness and maintaining a healthy safety margin. Other
hikers can certainly do it however they feel based on their trip's
objectives and parameters.

As Wes asked, "What was the payoff for Ned?" Time spent with my two sons,
taking our time in incredible scenery, and documenting the whole thing to
help others make decisions for themselves about their own future trips.

Next year we will be documenting more trail in Southern California that we
couldn't get to this year and then doing a South-bound version from Manning
in June. All to produce a Snow Guide to the Pacific Crest Trail that we hope
will help future thru hikers with their planning and safe execution of their
own pct hikes.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd