[pct-l] Hiking and the real world

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Oct 18 15:32:25 CDT 2010

Way to go, Sasha! Great question!

Just an aside...I fell in love with backpacking as an eight year old summer
camp kid in 1964 where the "50-miler" was the ultimate hike only the big
kids were able to do. Watching the stars at night and enjoying the views by
day were and still are what it is all about (more or less).

The trick is moving the passion over to something that will financially
sustain you, and the best time to do that is while your overhead is still
small when you're young. Get lots of experience. Take courses and get
certificates. Learn as much as you can from others. Guide. Find a job in
outdoor recreation. You won't make much money, but it is a start. Listen to
your heart.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd