[pct-l] Hiking and the real world

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Oct 18 16:08:38 CDT 2010

  I love all the responses to Sasha's query.  One way to look at this is
that "real life" is being in the wilderness and work has to be
integrated into this.

Also, very few people actually want to make a life that revolves around
the outdoors, let alone long distance hiking.  Note how few people
attempt the long trails each year compared to America's population.

In my 20s in the 1970s I had lots of friends who "stopped out" for a
couple years to ski and surf and hike and travel.  But I know no one
from those years who is doing what you ask about.

MSW level social workers can legitimately change jobs every couple three
years, and you can work in a year off without losing credibilitiy.
Teaching allows for summers off, and semesters off without pay, if
you're any good.  Both those professions have outdoor related niches you
could carve for yourself if you have good, dogged determination, a thick
skin that sloughs off rejection, and a vision that entrances funders...

Thinking out loud...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD