[pct-l] Winter Packweight

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Tue Oct 19 08:52:55 CDT 2010

---- Dale Combs <comebackwalking at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mine is 40 to 50 lbs for a 3 day snow shoe trip.
> Mt Lassen in winter is one of my favorite trips of the year.
> And that's using a pyramid tarp not a tent.
> For me, November to April trips are the best of the year
> in the rain, sleet and snow and the memories are so fresh
> that maybe I don't lighten up enough May thru October.

I have a friend whose pack for a three day snow climb in the Sierra weighs under 25 pounds. That's including axe, crampons and helmet. He suffers some and gets cold and hungry, but that's his choice. My choice is to add a few pounds and be a bit warmer and have a few more calories. If I get a early spring pack between 30-35 pounds it seems to work for me.