[pct-l] Early Mountain Men

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 00:05:30 CDT 2010

Hula and Snow Bunny Unsupported JMT Reinhold writes:  Say Switchback,  I'm wondering....hhhmmmm....instead of trading Big Hummel to the Indians for horses and blankets or rocks....hhhmmm....I'm wondering if his wife would pay a big ransom if Big Hummel, let's say, got kidnapped at the Kick Off.  After all, they got tons of gold and Big Hummel is worth his weight in gold.
Lets see now.....at almost 7 feet he must weigh about 250 pounds.  Hhhmmm.....lets see now 250 x 16 = 4,000 ounces....gold is trading at $1,371 per ounce....hhhmmm....yes Switchback, I'm trying to figure this out.  Let's see now....4,000 x 1,371 = $5,484,000.00.  Holly Toledo....Big Hummel is worth  $5,484,000....boy, that will buy a lot of blankets.  Say Switchback....psst,psst,psst.... you and I, we need to get together and figure this out...you know, how you and your gang of Trail Pirates are going to pull this of....but don't tell anybody about this, we need to keep this a complete secret.
Switchback the Trail Pirate replies: Yes, capturing folks down at the April Kickoff would be profitable.  And auctioning them off to the local Indians and Drug Lords across the border.  I see great potential in this scheme, especially for a big healthy lad like the Wagon Master.  The problem is that there are so many Kickoff guards, helpers, and Female Terminator Leadership Types (T-1000 liquid metal models) wondering around to make sure everything is under control.

Plus, they use my suggestion flyer to encourage hikers to be responsible and courteous on the trail.  I think since they started posting that flyer all around at the Kickoff the unruliness on the trail has diminished.  So, forget it.  I hate to pass up a profit, but they have out smarted me and made my part of the civilized PCT community at least temporarily.  Sad, but true.  I am embarrassed.