[pct-l] Water/chlorine/filtering/sunshine - - -

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 18:06:28 CDT 2010

I started backpacking in the Sierra Nevada during the early 1950's.  I got my
water from clear mountain lakes, from streams, from springs.  That was great,
safe water, no treating necessary. Fewer people and a lack of bears in the high
country.  By the late 60's to early 70's more people came - including pollution
and bears.  Now, if you don't want to use chemicals or filter, you must be very
careful finding your water sources.  I have explained my criteria on an earlier
post.  I did mostly live on the PCT between Mexico and Canada for over five
months - without using chemicals (I did bring a chemical solution along in case
of an emergency need. I never needed to use it), and only occasionally filtering
clear, but somewhat questionable water. I also, on a couple of occasions, used
the UV component of direct sunshine to purify my water. And I never got sick.

 I have wondered how many of the hikers who do get sick, get sick from
unsanitary conditions while camping in groups and in towns.  I almost always
camped alone with my horse well away from established campsites and groups and
usually also well away from the trail.  My resupplies were either from my
carefully located caches. (thoughtfully camouflaged and also well away from the
PCT or trailheads) or from my own compact motorhome, which I always drove ahead,
caching along the way. There I had solar battery charging, solar water heating,
shower, and all of the water was purified with an Everpure cartridge.  This
product filters down to one-half of a micron diameter. It can also
dechlorinate.  From this source I would refill all of my water containers for
the trail that I would take heading north. Then I would leave Primo in good care
and drive north and cache, park rig, and usually hitch back.

I would like to add that I am also very experienced using chlorine to make water
safe to drink. During 1963 and 1964 My wife and I sometimes used a British
product called Miltons (really chlorine) while traveling (in a converted VW van
which I had designed and built myself in England) through 31 countries in
Europe, Africa, and Asia. We used that chlorine product throughout the Middle
East and while crossing the Sahara Desert.  And we got sick of the TASTE of
chlorine - in our water, coffee, tea, soup, etc.  After returning to Europe we
learned that you could remove the chlorine with the Everpure filter. We learned
of this from the Wally Byam Airstream Caravan people who were then touring
Europe.  When I started a VW conversion business after returning to
California in 1965, I offered the Everpure as an option - and encouraged my
customers to include it.  Eventually, by about 1994,  I made it standard on my
Ford conversions.  By the time I retired in 2003, my companies' had converted
about 10,000 VW's and Fords. About one third of these were equipped with
filters. While the Everpure cartridge is too large and heavy to be considered by
PCT hikers, there are other filtering solutions that seem to work well.  I used
an MSR filter when needed. I also think that the SteriPen might prove to be a
good solution to water purification.

MendoRider