[pct-l] CDC recommendations for water treatment

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 20:48:28 CDT 2010

Dianne,  That was a very good post.  I agree.  If you are careful when selecting
your water sources you will rarely feel a need to either filter your water or
have to resort to treating it with chemicals. However, it's a good idea to bring
along a way to purify water in an emergency. A few years ago I even
experimented  with getting water from damp earth.  I condensed it by spreading a
30" square sheet of clear plastic over a hole that I dug to damp earth.  My cup
was placed under the middle with a rock directly above it.  I weighted down the
perimeter with more dirt and rocks.  I got a drip, drip, drip of good water as
the condensation ran down the plastic.  I know - it's slow, but after some time
I had a cup of water. I used to bring the plastic along, among other things, in
a fanny pack on long conditioning rides.  If I had an accident and broke my
leg and there was no water around I might be able to get some by this method.
Now, I just carry a knapsack with what I might need, including water, and, on
the PCT, even my sleeping bag. If your horse runs off (as Primo did, in a panic,
in Washington when we came upon llamas) you must have everything you need to
survive. Of course, I also always carry a SPOT.

MendoRider