[pct-l] CDC recommendations for water treatment

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 21:01:47 CDT 2010

Aquamira is available in two forms,   a tablet form  and a liquid form.

The liquid form seems to be used by hikers more often as it is a lot less
expensive.

Aquamira contains Chlorine Dioxide but does not use chlorine to kill bugs.
It creates free Oxygen via a reaction between the two chemicals that are
mixed together.

While Aquamira has an expiration date --  if the mixture turns yellow it is
still good as this indicates the chemical reaction has happened and the O2
was created.

PolarPure is an Iodine based product.  If I remember correctly you add water
to a bottle containing a bunch of Iodine impregnated pellets and the Iodine
leeches out into the water.  You then pour this small amount of iodine water
into the water you want to treat.

I personally do not like the idea of drinking water with iodine for long
periods of time so use aquamira.  I have no reason for this preference other
than it is my preference.

I was told that some Iodine products are used in the manufacture of Crystal
Meth.  California has made it harder to get some products with iodine to
limit this production.  CA used to have a problem with Aquamira due to the
method off use - the way the product was mixed etc.. I believe the labeling
has been changed to appease CA.  It now says the product is to "improve
taste"  as opposed to killing bugs.

Hope this helps.

Day-Late

Thanks for posting to further the discussion.