[pct-l] Giardia Lamblia and Giardiasis With Particular Attention to the Sierra Nevada

mikea mike.aken at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 00:50:22 CDT 2010

This excellent article has been floating around the net for a long.
http://pweb.jps.net/~prichins/giardia.htm
I think the high country conditions are probably better than when this paper
was written

A book "long distance hiking " had a survey from the AT
I think the data was taken in 1996 or so.
Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian
Trail<http://www.amazon.com/Long-Distance-Hiking-Lessons-Appalachian-Trail/dp/0070444587/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287812238&sr=8-1>
by
Roland Mueser<http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Mueser/e/B001IODF8Q/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1287812238&sr=8-1>
(Paperback - Nov 1, 1997)
  the author talks about gastrointestinal  illness

the results from the survey are as follows(page 96 )

frequency of gastrointestinal  illness  versus water purification method:
Iodine  26%
Filtering 30%
Boiling 34%
Chlorine  75%
No treatment   27%
Average  30%

The author supposes that sharing food or gorp  might account for a majority
of the illnesses

Mike

--
http://www.engel.org/ihwm  (Courtesy of my friend Glenn Engel)

"I hike alone sometimes.Its during these            Mike Aken
solo hikes that the number of  arrogant             N7OUJ
and ignorant people I have  to deal
with is reduced to one".
                         Jack Hampson