[pct-l] CDC recommendations for water treatment

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Oct 23 09:07:29 CDT 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 5:24 PM, Ron Dye wrote:

> There have been articles written that suggest the giardia threat
> has been
> exaggerated.

This reminds me of I think it was Golden Oak Spring. There's actually
an advertisement at the spring for one of the makers of water
treatment devices. I think there may have been one or two others of
these advertisements on the trail at a spring. It made me wonder if
perhaps it's all hype meant to sell us more crap.

So many of the fears we have about hiking and being in the wilderness
are overblown. I sometimes think it's a plot to make us believe that
the source of life--nature--is dangerous and the killer of life--
civilization--is benign when in truth it is the opposite. All in
order to sell us more crap and help somebody at the top accumulate
more money.

That's the whole reason I went for a long walk on the PCT. I had a
chance to measure wealth in things that truly matter to me:
wildflowers, beauty, time.