[pct-l] Giardia

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Oct 23 16:42:59 CDT 2010

I was once a paranoid water purifier but the trail cured me of that.
I walked the entire trail, by the way. I purified most water in So
Cal, most in Central Cal, fewer in Nor Cal, most lake water in Oregon
and almost none in Washington. Say what you will about my anecdotal
experience, that it lacks any scientific research. Whatever. I've
been there, seen the water, drank it. It was delicious.

First you drink San Diego's water. Then you drink LA's water. Then
Sacramento/San Francisco's water, then Portland's water and finally
Seattle's water. Only you get to drink it before it has run out of
the mountains into the lowlands where it picks up agricultural
runoff, pollution from roads, heavy metals, industrial pollutants and
whatever other stuff it comes in contact with in aqueducts and pipes.
Then they toss a few chemicals in it and sell it to you as your
municipal water and tell you it's clean. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Meeting people on the trail who rejected the clean water of the
mountains over stuff gotten from motel bathroom faucets boggled my
mind. All it takes is a few drops of aquamira and it's safe to drink.
No need to fear it so much that you won't even drink it. I'm just
trying to say don't be so paranoid. Use a product and then stop
worrying about it. It's not worth fretting over. It's the same darn
water that came out of that faucet only it's closer to the source.
Treat it, drink it and move on.

Hiking a long trail really clears up a lot of silly fears and the
fear of water is one of them.