[pct-l] shirts

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Oct 24 12:03:41 CDT 2010

We also wear shirts from thrift stores when hiking.  I prefer 100% silk
long sleeved shirts.  They dry instantly, let all the breezes through,
are baggy enough to deter mosquitoes, and are cool enough to wear on a
warm day, protecting me from the sun. Solid color shirts last much
longer than print shirts.  Something in the process of making a silk
print seems to weaken the fabric.  Silk shirts will tear out under the
arms pretty quickly, so on a long trip I put a fresh one in my resupply
boxes. They weigh so little that I always start a trip with three of
them. When I go into a thrift store I "mine" the shirt racks, both
women's and men's, for silk shirts.  Then I check the athletic wear
section for hiking pants.  I have an astonishing collection of these.
It is always a thrill to find a nice item of Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, REI
or Ex Officio clothing at thrift store prices.
Ray prefers to wear polyester-cotton dress shirts.  They have many of
the same qualities as silk, but last much longer.  He likes the cowboy
style with snaps most of all.