[pct-l] 80 lbs

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 17:42:20 CDT 2010

Dear Reinhold

2010/10/25 Reinhold Metzger <reinholdmetzger at cox.net>:
> Yoshihiro,
> Nice to hear from you again.
> Nice remodeling job on the pack.
> Yes, Jen Sport and A-16 made those heavy duty packs with the metal wings.

I have none. In those times, JanSports  withdrew from a Japanese
market, and I could not buy any. There was no internet. I could not
find the address of JanSports.

> They are great for heavy loads...I still have two of those.
> The fatigue in the muscles in the waist was probably the result of the waist
> belt riding to low on the hips and restricting the leg muscles at the
> hip....Keeping the waist belt above the hips usually resolves that problem.

No. it was caused by the lack of stiffness of frame,  and the weakness
of waist belt. The backpack shakes independently from the waist belt.
So, I reinforced the waist belt and strengthen the connection of frame
and waist belt.  I feel this modification works well.

> BTW....which pack did you carry and how much did it weigh when we met on the
> JMT this year?

This backpack:

http://psycho01.edu.u-toyama.ac.jp/solitude.html

The plastic part of the connected shoulder belt was broken.

http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/CompleteWalker/SanFranciscoToVVR#5512857843629918562

and the parts of the head rest began to disjoint. This backpack was
very strong, and had a stiff waist belt. So I could carry up to 30 Kg.
But, the troubles begin, more troubles will be expected, so I bought
REI XT 85.

The load may be 30 Kg when I started from VVR, but I forgot to
measure the weight of my backpack. I was eager to gather foods from
the barrel. When I can carry,  it is OK, I can walk. I need enough
foods to  Lone Pine. The result is OK. I did not loose weight, and no
fatigue.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )