[pct-l] CDC recommendations for water treatment

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Sun Oct 24 20:40:11 CDT 2010

Finally read this report.  Some salient points:
-  With regard to protozoan organisms (giardia, cryptospordium), "thought leaders" are downplaying the risk in backcountry waters (p. 24).
-  Viruses and bacteria are gaining increased attention and is the focus of this article (p. 24).
Waterborne bacteria live as either free-floating planktonic bacteria or a biofilm, a community of cells (p. 25).
-  In natural waterways, greater than 99% of bacteria exist in biofilms (p. 26).
-  Filters can clog with biofilms and biofilm bacteria will even grow on filter elements with long use or storage (p. 26-27). [Note: I'm assuming this means storage without first cleaning the element with bleach or other disinfectant].
-  Water treatment in a laboratory setting used Aquamira, Polar Pure, and MIOX. (p. 28).
-  Aquamira was the most efficacious among the three at killing biofilm bacteria. (p. 31).
-  There was no difference in the treatments applied to planktonic bacteria; all three were equally efficacious. (p. 66).

As always, read for yourself and draw your own conclusions.