[pct-l] Bikers on the PCT

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Oct 24 20:46:31 CDT 2010

On 10/24/2010 6:48 PM, Edward Anderson wrote:
> Ron,  enforcement will obviously require that more Rangers be hired.
> Why not? Jobs are needed and that's a good use of the money needed to
> supplement money from the big fines.  Rangers should have satellite
> phones and should be able to lock some kind of tracking device to the
> bike.  The bikers are a community. Once the word is out that serious
> enforcement is in effect, with big fines, they will stay off the
> PCT.

There are problems with this approach (as much as I like the idea).

The rangers in question are currently out of work due to lack of funds.
If they are to pay their own way, they would need to write enough
citations to cover their salaries plus administrative costs. As soon as
the mountain biking community abandons the PCT, these rangers would
again be out of work, at which time the mountain bikers will return to
the PCT.