[pct-l] 80 lbs

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 21:46:26 CDT 2010

Dear Diane

I know the UL movement, but I am in the middle of the bookends. The
reasons are :

1. The trails in Japan are very steep and indistinct. The trails
sometimes change into climbing routes.
2. The climate change rapidly. The most stable season are from the
last week of September to the first week of August. But the thunder
storm come frequently.
3. Many trails can walk within a few days, a week long trail is
exception. So, many people need not to reduce their pack weight.
4. There is a ancient tradition in Japan, similar to Bacchus's
festival. Many people like to eat and drink at the top of the
mountain.
5. In USA, as you pointed out, I am a sightseeing tourist, and need
heavy camera system,  a good dictionary,  and etc. etc..

Mr. Glen Van Peski of Gossamer Gear came to Japan, and hiked with
Japanese UL mania. My two friends went with him.

http://ulgoods.exblog.jp/13413067/

When Mr. Glen gave a public lecture and party. I happened to be Tokyo
and attended the lecture and party, because I was invited by my
friends. He spoke well, may be attained popularity. But UL in Japan
has a difficulty, because of the undesirable weather.

You can read those event in English.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=36921&skip_to_post=321451#321451

Someone may felt very cold, because they reduced their pack weight as
far as possible. But, Mr. Glen will be astonished to see abundant
alcohol ( not for stove, for drinking ) and foods for alcohol ( Many
people distinguishes foods for dinner from foods with alcohol ), when
they bring out  from their backpacks in the night.  ( I do not drink
alcohol at all. )

Mr. Glen was safe in the mountain, where relatively well maintained
aria in Japan, and my friends knows those area quite well.

But, Tokyo is not safe now a days, Mr. Glen injured at last.

http://yfrog.com/c83kdpj

Please remember. Japan is a very dangerous country.

I know UL is important. I have a project with Jotaro
(http://locusgear.com/ ) to make light and strong tent( I do not like
tarp ).

When I become 80 years old, I will need more light equipments. But I
am only 60 years old. 25Kg is a adequate weight for me to strengthen
my bones and muscles. I likes cooking and eating. I dislikes hungry
state. I do not drink alcohol but l feel I have a Bacchus's tradition
in me. That the reason I am in the middle of the bookend.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )