[pct-l] snow shoes

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Oct 25 08:28:58 CDT 2010

Good morning, Dan,

Snowshoes aren’t often seen on the PCT during the thru-hiking season.  I’ve
been using snowshoes since the ‘60s, and I have several pairs which I use
here in the Pacific NW.  I’ve not been seriously tempted to carry them for
PCT hiking – the only temptation being during the few, short times I
postholed in the Sierras -- but by then it was too late to have them sent.  In
hindsight I would do nothing different.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768

Early in the hiking season the showpack is usually sufficiently strong for a
hiker to stay on top and walk acceptably in trail/running shoes:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264464
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264576

In Washington new snow is possible, depending upon the date and the year,
but snowshoes are not the best answer for light, fresh, fluffy snow; one
just can’t stay on top.

Enjoy,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye