[pct-l] 80 lbs

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Oct 25 10:59:18 CDT 2010

Really Diane....is that so?
Did you ever consider that Ned or the other "Heavy Truckers", that you have
a tendency to ridicule, also have good reasons to carry heavy backpacks?

What makes you think that "Yoshi" has not yet seen the light and will, as
you say, "see the light one day"?
What you don't seem to understand is that your light is not the only light.
There are 2 lights, the "UL" light&  the "Heavy Trucker" light.
You seem to see only your light the "UL" light.
Hopefully, someday, although I doubt it, you will also see the other light,
the "Heavy Trucker" light and then, hopefully, you will understand the reason
and logic why the "Heavy Truckers" follow their light instead of your light.

So it does not take to long for you to see and or understand the other light,
let me explain the following:
Like I said there are 2 lights...I have seen both and therefore hike on both
sides of the fence...."Heavy Trucker" when I hike with the Scouts or my wife,
"UL" on my solo speed hikes.
On my 1996 JMT hike with the scouts I carried a 85lb pack.
On my solo JMT speed hikes my pack, with food, water, tent, sleeping bag&  pad,
cold weather gear, rain gear, compass, map, first aid kit, water purification,
flashlight, and yes, a potty trowel weighs 22lb, without resupplies, for the 210
mile trek.

So, you see, pack weight usually depends on 1.The type of hike, 2.The comfort
level of the hiker and 3.The physical condition of the hiker.
None of those factors need to meet your standards.
So you see Diane, your way is not the only way and hikers do not need to see
your light and hike like you hike to hike the correct way........there is no
absolute correct way
What works for you is the correct way for you but not necessarily for everyone.
So I would suggest you HYOH and refrain from criticizing and ridiculing Ned and
other hikers who do not hike according to your standards.

BTW...you should not ridicule Yoshi's grasp of the English language.
Yoshi has posted on the list for sometime now, is an educated person
and is sufficiently versed in English to understand what he is reading.

JMT Reinhold
The on who has seen both lights
>/  Word of caution...prepare for attack from Chuck, Diane and the rest of
/>/  the UL gang.
/
Why would I do that? Yoshi has a good reason for carrying a heavy
pack. He carries stuff for his wife and lots of camera gear. Besides,
I'm confident that he'll see the light one day. But not until someone
first writes an article about ultralight backpacking in Japanese that
he can cite.
;-)