[pct-l] smartphone as GPS

Jim Keener ( J J ) pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com
Mon Oct 25 12:27:07 CDT 2010

Greetings,

If a device is marketed as having "GPS", it will have satellite location capability. Smartphone GPS is typically not as accurate as dedicated GPS devices.

Many, many hikers have completed  the PCT without any GPS capability. I carried an iPhone 3Gs this year and, using Halfmile's waypoints, located myself any time I wanted. There is some really good GPS software available for almost all smartphones.

Walk well,
Jim Keener ( J J )