[pct-l] Snow Shoes vs. Timing for snow on a thru

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Mon Oct 25 22:42:54 CDT 2010

I know all the theories about timing climbs for when the snow is hard,
crossing creeks in the morning, post holing in soft snow in the afternoon,
and getting off the passes early to avoid storms. But I found the firmest
rules in thru-hiking were 1) 20 miles/day and 2) camp below the snow for
warmth.  I just can't sit around in a tent waiting for the right time.
Besides I would run out of food. That seems like a more severe problem than
crossing creeks in the afternoon or crossing passes in the mid-afternoon.

We have crossed the High Sierra in trail runners twice starting near
mid-June. I kicked steps straight up to Mather Pass in 2000.  And it was
firm early morning snow.  And plunge stepped down the north side of all
those passes. Many times the trail was running with snow melt. You could
either walk in it or try the slicker sides of the trail.

Yeah, our feet got wet, but it is amazing how fast our feet dry. Usually
before the next creek crossing.

Someone wrote about hiking in Chaco's. I haven't tried them, but we have
gravitated toward simpler and lighter shoes. Our current shoe preferences
have almost no support. They are a slab of foam with some mesh to hold it
under the foot. They're very light, and our feet are stronger and ache less.
At home I am wearing Crocs most of the time. My boots have collected dust
for many years. Ten years ago I would never have believed my current shoe
choices.

Ken
www.GottaWalk.com