[pct-l] cyclists

Mark Hudson mhudson89521 at att.net
Mon Oct 25 19:54:21 CDT 2010

I just joined the group, so I really hope my first reply doesn’t get taken
the wrong way.

I live very near the TRT where in many spots we run into bikers on the trail
all the time.  I also happen to dabble in riding.  I more or less suck at
it, but still like to think I am good regardless :)

I see all the points of there is not enough room, its not safe. etc.  I also
know every time you begin to draw a line, you often find yourself on the
wrong side of it.

Long story short, I run into bikers all the time on the trails, and have yet
to have an accident or be run over.  I find the VAST majority of them are
respectful and will yell if they are coming up behind you and ask to pass.
Often they tell me of things coming on the trail, or at least other bikers
in their group.

If I had my wish, I would agree that it would be better hiking with no
bikers, however I suspect they would say it would be better riding with no
hikers.

My thoughts are we all need to learn to share without a rule book 32" thick
that takes yet another government agency to enforce.

I would also like to think that messing with another persons equipment, by
disabling or tampering has to be plain wrong, and much more dangerous than
being run over on the trail.