[pct-l] rainjacket

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 12:12:19 CDT 2010

I don't think the ideal rain gear exists yet.  Under heavy rain, silnylon
 wets thru rather quickly on the top of the shoulders or top of the pack.
Our Marmot PreCip jackets were particularly disappointing, though their
rainpants perform well.

Currently we both use a double layer. I wear a Sierra Design Isotope, which
is quite lightweight, but a little short. Susan wears a Mountain Hardwear
rain parka she got at REI. It does better than the PreCip, but still wets
thru on the shoulders. On top of these, we both wear a Packa
http://www.thepacka.com/ . This has sleeves and covers the pack, but is
silnylon so top of the pack still gets wet. With any poncho that covers the
pack, if you have to take the pack off in the rain and move around, i.e.
long bathroom break, you want the pack covered, but want to stay dry
yourself.

Going through Washington this year, we had quite a bit of rain and several
days of snow. Our rain gear kept us fairly dry. On the fifth day of
rain/snow without any sun to dry gear, my inner fleece layer got damp, but I
think that was from running around making camp in the rain with my rain
jacket unzipped.

We do have packs lined with trash compactor bags, and within that, have
several turkey bags for various categories, warm stuff, daily stuff,
sleeping bag, etc.
--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html