[pct-l] quick question on my hiking performance

Mark Hudson mhudson89521 at att.net
Tue Oct 26 20:45:41 CDT 2010

I have wondered the same thing all year.  I have been really working to get
in shape all this year so as a result I always wondered where I fit in with
the through hiker crowd.

I still don’t know the answer to that question but I can tell you what my
wife, my 13 year old son and I average now.

We each carry about 10-15lbs on day hikes each.  We average around 15 miles
on hikes with more and more days going over 20.

We are usually above 7K with hikes going to 10.6 K  Most elevations are
between 7500-9100 I would say.

we usually encounter around 3000 feet of elevation gain in a given day, with
some days reaching 5K.

on a recent 20 mile day with elevation gains in the 5K range I averaged 2.5
mph.  on a recent 15 mile day with 3K elevation gains I averaged 3.3 mph

I use a gps to measure my speed for my own purposes, as I want to see how I
have progressed over the summer.  Our goal is to hike the JMT and TRT next
year and to fit that into our vacation schedule we need to hike over 20
miles each day, so that’s what we are training for.

My brother in law is a pct grad and he makes me look like an old fat man
when he hikes with us...so long story short, I have found I have to hike my
own hike, but I still like to know how I measure up... so I responded to
your post as a result.

As an aside, I wouldn’t use this as any sort of step or or step down
measure, I would simply decide what my hiking goals where in terms of miles
per day, then decide what average length of time I wanted to hike each day,
and do the math on mph.  then train for that goal.  that’s all we are doing.