[pct-l] trail cooking

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 22:32:34 CDT 2010

At kick off, a fellow had a table for making pot cozys, and it turned out to
be a favorite piece of gear for a number of us.  Smiles and I loved ours as
you could bring your meal to a boil, pasta, rice, couscous, or whatever, let
the stove go out, and slip the pot into its cozy and cozy cover, and let it
steep.  I've used this technique for years without a cozy, but with one the
food has a more cooked taste and texture.  I guess it simply keeps things
just that much hotter, and also makes the pot really comfortable to hold
when you go to eat out of it.  Smiles even had one for a piece of tupper
ware with lid which she used to steep a wonderful batch of oatmeal, nuts and
dried fruit she began re-hydrating in the evening so it would be ready for
breakfast each morning.  That breakfast is so delicious, I'm making it still
off trail every evening for breakfast the next day.  The cozys were simple,
just a bit of foil insulation, like bubble wrap, which we cut and taped
together with clear mailing tape.  The temps of the hot pot never caused any
of the tape glue to break down and they are as good today, (a bit dirtier)
as they were at kick off.  Be sure to make a cozy for a lid as well.  The
cozy and lid weigh almost nothing and pack in place around my pot and lid
when not in use.

As for freezer bag rigidity, I agree, they have very little and although I
ate out of them whenever I had an actual freeze dried meal in a pouch, which
was not often, the bags were a pain.

Shroomer