[pct-l] Ice/Snow

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Oct 28 19:18:17 CDT 2010

Thanks for the good words, Scott! Banding up in groups thru the Sierra
certainly improves safety and efficiency. However, injuries can happen even
in the midst of everyone as in the case of Calorie's fall on Kearsarge Pass.

Our recommendation on the subject that Katica brought up about the need for
snow/ice skills thru the Sierra really depends on the winter preceding,
ambient temps when you're there (whether the thaw has started or not), and
certainly what month it is. If you can avoid the snow and still have the
kind of trip you want (straight thru, flipping, slow and easy, or
as-many-miles-as-possible), then do so, but that is not usually the case for
most north-bounders, especially after they make some friends along the way
and want to travel together thereafter.

As was said earlier, you will probably have snow/ice along the Desert Divide
(Apache Peak ridge ascent) up to and past Mt. San Jacinto and, later,
through the San Bernardinos and San Gorgonios, even in the months of
April/May, so you might want to be skill-prepared from the start. If the
logistics of flipping around snow-bound areas is ok with you, then it is
safest to do that, but it may cost more and take time away from the trail
schedule perhaps making you late to Canada (another risk).

So, to get to our recommendation, based on the high probability that you
will have some snow/ice to deal with somewhere or two along the trail, get
the training, gain the confidence, and enjoy the peace of mind that will
come from it.  If we have a light winter, no worries; if we have a heavy
winter, you'll be ready, go straight thru (with wisdom, this time, from the
experience gained from the snow training).

Crampons are not necessary, but some sort of traction control on icy/crusty
traverses is. A certified ice axe can be a life-saver as well, just know how
to use it through practice ahead of time on steep snow. Be able to identify
hazardous snow conditions in front of you so you can stop, put your Katoolas
on, and proceed, axe in hand, rather than assume it will be ok, fly out onto
it (say icy/crusty side slopes), and take a fall. Snow skills, practice on
snow/ice before you start your thru hike, will give you the necessary
experience requisite for smart and safe decisions later.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd