[pct-l] Backpacks

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Oct 29 08:34:04 CDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 12:51 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> It will come down to fit, being on the larger size (I'm a Med
> Torso, but XL
> belt...boo) most everything I carry winds up being bulker and
> heavier by
> default ;(.

If you are carrying a lot of bulky clothing, this will be true.
Easily corrected by not carrying any change of clothing. Just a few
extra socks and some insulative/rain layers. Nobody on the PCT will
care if your clothes are dirty. Actually, they might rag on you if
your clothes are clean. Happened to me.

If you are interested in going lighter, you might pop over to the
backpackinglight.com site. People push the envelope there but a lot
of that is testing the limits and you can take what you want and
leave the rest. Reading gear lists is useful.