[pct-l] Backpacks

herbstroh at charter.net herbstroh at charter.net
Fri Oct 29 15:40:49 CDT 2010

For our JMT hike I bought my son the ULA Catalyst. Excellent pack,
comfortable, well designed. All round good product.

I used the Six Moons Starlight on the hike:
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/packs.html
Another great product. Roll down top allows for extra storage after a
resupply. A bear can fits horizontally, but I found rides better vertically.

The Catalyst will take a bit more gear and has more padding. At higher
weights--30+, definately a better pack to take. The Starlight is good pound
lighter as I recall. It has a sleeve for your sleeping pad, which gives
rigidity to the pack and thus allows a lighter design. Below 25 pounds it
is very comfortable, 25-30 sorta ok, and 30+ not so comfortable. But on a
thru hike most people would not get to those higher weights.

Herb