[pct-l] Snow Weather Clothing Recommendations

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 19:17:10 CDT 2010

Hey All,

All this talk about snow... burrrr....

Where I live it is pretty much 50-65 degrees 365 days a year, day and night.
Man that is soooo nice :)

Anyway, I grew up in the Mojave Desert so I have and understand desert life,
and I have spent 15 years in the Redwood forest, so I understand the
pleasures of 300 days of rain a year.

What I do not have much experience with (3 years of living in Big Bear when
I was a teenager) is that nasty white stuff weather - giggle.

One of the unfortunate facts of yogi's books is that the vast majority of
the gear mentioned is not even manufactured anymore because she hasn't
seemed to interview anybody since about 2004 or so (or if she has, the book
has not been updated to reflect such), leaving us with a lot of mentioned
gear that is 5+ years old. I love the bits of nuggets of info the guys has,
but have just learned that it just cannot use it as a "gear guide" for the
most part.

So anyway, I am looking for suggestions from those of you who have
experience with gear for the snow regions. I already have inner layer
clothing (I do prefer layered clothing) but when it comes to the mid layer
and shell layer I am at a dead end on experience of snow gear. I do have
shell layers for rain, but not snow.

I have been considering going with some down jackets from cottage companies
(only seems like there are a couple of them out there??) and have no
objections to buying from big names either.

In general, I am looking for some folks who have done the PCT in the last 2
or so years and what kind of snow clothing (mid and shell layers) you used
and recommend.

Thanks everybody,
~Abela