[pct-l] Snow Weather Clothing Recommendations

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Oct 29 20:21:43 CDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 5:53 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> So anyway, I am looking for suggestions from those of you who have
> experience with gear for the snow regions. I already have inner layer
> clothing (I do prefer layered clothing) but when it comes to the
> mid layer
> and shell layer I am at a dead end on experience of snow gear. I do
> have
> shell layers for rain, but not snow.
>
> I have been considering going with some down jackets from cottage
> companies
> (only seems like there are a couple of them out there??) and have no
> objections to buying from big names either.
>
> In general, I am looking for some folks who have done the PCT in
> the last 2
> or so years and what kind of snow clothing (mid and shell layers)
> you used
> and recommend.
>
> Thanks everybody,
> ~Abela

During the PCT thru-hike typical schedule, the weather during the day
is really nice. I did not need any specifically different clothing
for hiking at any time during the hike. The same clothing, same
jackets carried me through the entire distance.

What you need mostly are things for your feet: traction aids,
perhaps, trekking poles, crampons, ice axe.

Diane