[pct-l] Lost on the JMT: Reds Meadow southbound

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 09:05:12 CDT 2010

Dear Steve,

Yes, Red's Meadow is really confusing.  On the JMT you walk by the Devil's
Post Pile and you get a good photography or "bird's eye" view.

After taking a nice warm shower we ended up on the Rainbow trail but
backtracked when my "Spidey Senses" were going haywire.  Lucky for us I
always found the maps fascinating and was always looking at them, how it
related to the trail, North, South, speed per half inch, elevation lines
etc.  My husband (now ex) looked at this obsession of mine as ridiculous so
it took me about 15-20 minutes on the Rainbow trail to convince him, the
much smarter "trip commander".

We were following a really nice set of maps we bought at REI.  When I saw
all the trails in this area, I perceived the potential for problems so I
knew I had to be "on my game".  Following Halfmile's GPS points would be
another way to avoid this confusion.

Melanie