[pct-l] Exit to East from KM

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Fri Sep 3 12:51:18 CDT 2010

If "security is defined, as knowing where the exits are, before one needs
them"...  my hope is still to try a thru next April, but the pressure(s) I'm
getting against that seem to be getting larger the more I talk about such.
Hence looking into plan-B's. Hence some questions:

In reading most trail guides, it's seems common wisdom that one should not
leave KM (nobo) and enter the Sierra before June15. KM is at 6k', The PCT
north of there immediately goes to 8k'. My question/though is: how far north
of KM can one get before they run into serious snow (yes, I know - each year
is different)...  my thought being: Campo to KM and continue a little north
and bail to LonePine. Is this a reasonable thought? Or is one better just
going to WalkerPass, and heading east to 395, and restarting there on the
next try? [In looking at the topos, there don't seem to be any (reasonably
short) exits to the east btwn KM and LonePine...  or am I missing
something?]

many thanks - TheDuck