[pct-l] Gear question?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 17:20:50 CDT 2010

You are just seeing the on-going verbal debate between the different backpacking types, grouped roughly as follows:

1- traditional...........20 pounds or more base weight
2. Ultra-light (UL)....10 - 20 pounds base weight
3. Super UL (SUL)....less than 10 pounds base weight
4. Ludicrously UL (LUD)....less than 5 pounds base weight (a knife, a space blanket, and a Snickers bar)

The lighter you go, the less "traditional store-bought" gear is available for these niche markets. These folks - of necessity - favor the Make Your Own Gear (MYOG) movement and trumpet the so-called "cottage industries" like ULA (makes mostly lightweight backpacks), Six Moon Designs (SMD), Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD), Tarptent, etc., who specialize in light weight and/or custom gear not available in national chain stores.

Everyone is trying to point out the advantages of their particular choice over whatever you might foolishly have selected. It's like trying to see who has the biggest _ _ _ _ ; as if it matters. Enjoy the debate, but make up your own mind. THAT's what matters!

Wandering Bob